Australian Bushverse Forum

Australian Bush Poetry, Verse & Music Forum

For more than 180 pages of Australian Bush Verse and Music visit the main site at Australian Bush Verse & Music

WE ARE SICK OF SPAMMERS. IF YOU WANT TO REGISTER EMAIL RIC AT BUSHVERSE DOT COM

December 21, 2014, 05:36:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thanks for supporting the Forum. This is what builds a community of bush poets and bush poetry lovers across the world.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bird Seed Bells  (Read 20307 times)
Ric Raftis
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 01, 2007, 09:41:59 PM »

G'day all,

I have been looking everywhere on the net for a recipe for a bird seed bell. I  found a site on using egg whites, but that seems like a whole lot of trouble for the amount of birds we have here.

We're in drought at the moment, so the birds are flocking even more to the garden for seed and water. I have established that PVA glue is the bonding agent, but is it watered down and what do you wrap around them so the dried articles slip out cleanly.

Hoping a few of you old bushies out there might know!  Cheesy  Cheesy

Regards,

Ric

I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok. They know me here.
Babe

"That'll do, Pig. That'll do"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 11:24:56 PM »

Gelatine may be a better option as a binding agent, Ric.

Try the method laid out here: http://www.faunarescue.org.au/seedbells.html

As a mould, you could try seedling tubes lined with freezer bags.

Babe

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Ric Raftis
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 11:53:32 PM »

Thanks Babe.  As a mould I was thinking more of those cake tins like a donut that would make a 1kg block or thereabouts.  Although I note the gelatine, PVA glue, which the commercial ones are made from, is supposed to be non toxic and water based.

I'll start some experiments.

Thanks a lot!  :lol:  :lol:

Regards,

Ric

zondrae
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 08:18:03 AM »

HAPPY NEW YEAR RIC and team,

I bought one of my daughters, a new type of cake tin. It was a bit expensive but it is soft and rubbery. They are the latest thing in bakeware. They do come in a donut shape. They are available in Wollies etc. Cost about $9. Sound perfect for your needs.

Thanks for all your hard work and generosity in providing this site for 'we crazy (but dedicated) poets'.

'A Woman of Words'  ...... Zondrae
Ric Raftis
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 08:39:28 AM »

Thanks Zondrae.  I should be down in Bendigo today or tomorrow so I'll check them out.

Thanks for your thanks also, but the site wouldn't be what it is without such good quality people participating.

Regards,

Ric

the mad mare
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 10:15:16 AM »

Hi Zondrae,  I've got one of those floppy cake tins (can't really call them "tins" anymore, but "cake floppies" doesn't sound right).  It seemed dreadfully wrong to me, to put a rubber item in the oven, and I fully expected it to melt, but it didn't and the cake turned out OK (as well as any of my cooking does anyway).

Hi Ric,  that's nice of you to be making fancy bird seed bells for the local wildlife.  We just put our bird seed out in big flat pans and they scratch around in that ... then they have a little splash in the water bowl ... what a wonderful life!  It's lovely to see the variety of birds that visit.

Happy (and Healthy) New Year everyone!

Sing along now ... Oh!  The old grey mare, she ain't what she used to be ... ain't what she used to be ...
heyu
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 06:59:48 PM »

Hi fellow bird lovers

My morning ritual is to turn bread into bread crumbs in the food processor then divide the crumbs.  Half goes into a bowl and is mixed with honey and the rest is blended with meat to make a mash.

Attracts about 60/70 rainbow lorikeets and blue eyed honey eaters and the meat mix goes to the magpies.

But lately the rainbow lorikeets have been helping themselves to the magpies breakfast as well.

All my life I've had problems trying to understand 'birds'

heyu

wishbone will never take the place of a backbone.
heyu
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 07:44:33 PM »

Hello again

Seems like I'll never learn.  I just walked out into the backyard (still fairly light up here)  and four magpies landed at my feet, looking up at me with pleading eyes.  So I went back inside and chopped up some meat for them.

Unbelieveable!    Twice divorced and still subject to the whims of birds.

heyu

Ric Raftis
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 09:19:07 PM »

Quote from: "heyu"
Hello again

Seems like I'll never learn.  I just walked out into the backyard (still fairly light up here)  and four magpies landed at my feet, looking up at me with pleading eyes.  So I went back inside and chopped up some meat for them.

Unbelieveable!    Twice divorced and still subject to the whims of birds.

heyu
Well at least it seems you made some progress Pete.  Now they are at your feet begging!!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Regards,

Ric

therese

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 08:17:50 AM »

hey ric!  how'd you get on with the making of your seed bells?

Life is a Romantic Adventure of Mystical Proportions
~ peter mitchell ~
Ric Raftis
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 12:58:39 PM »

Still trying to get the right mix Therese.  At the moment we are using 1/3 water to 2/3 PVA, but they are still a bit crumbly.  Next batch, we'll up the PVA a bit to 75%.

Regards,

Ric

the mad mare
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 03:21:11 PM »

Yeah I've been meaning to ask how the project was going too.  Are you sure it's OK to feed them glue, Ric?  Doesn't sniffing the stuff make you high, so surely ingesting it must be worse???  I know you said in previous posts that it's OK, but it just seems yukky.  I wouldn't want to eat it.  Would a flour/water glue mix be less likely to turn them into gluegobbling-graffiti galahs?  Or would it just make the seeds sprout and go mouldy? 

Sing along now ... Oh!  The old grey mare, she ain't what she used to be ... ain't what she used to be ...
therese

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 08:34:17 AM »

eww, using pva does sound a little yukky.  you wouldnt think it'd be good for them.

Life is a Romantic Adventure of Mystical Proportions
~ peter mitchell ~
Ric Raftis
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 07:50:47 AM »

Apparently there's no problem.  It's non toxic, even to humans.  You could probably use it on your weeties instead of milk Therese, but I'd water it down a bit to give it the same consistency!

Regards,

Ric

heyu
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 09:25:42 AM »

Gee thanks Ric

Tried it on my weeties and I now have a bowl of weeties sitting by the sink with an upper denture stuck in them.  I think I'll stick/stick/stick to bacon and eggs in future.

cheers

heyu

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: